[mdlug] Forget Perl, I'm switching to LOLCODE!

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Sep 7 09:01:30 EDT 2007

> From: Wolfger

> On 9/5/07, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com> wrote:
> > Perl has, unfortunately, become the modern PL/1, partially because
> > there is such an overlap of features and methods that there are
> > many many many MANY ways of doing the same routine task.
>
> Yeah... We all know how unusable English is, with all those different
> ways of saying the same thing. How can anybody read a novel?

 Communication with humans is substantially different than communication with
computers. Humans have an immense capacity for resolving ambiguity; computers
today have almost none. When communicating to *both* computers *and* humans
(which code has to do if it's going to be maintained) every little bit of
precision helps.

> > Standardization of the structure of code fragments is an important
> > component of readability.
>
> No. Learning the language is an important component.

 See what I wrote about this last time:

 http://mdlug.org/pipermail/mdlug/2007-June/001825.html

 I did, in fact, receive the book "Minimal Perl" for my birthday, and I've
been slowly working through it. Looks interesting, and I hope it does help
to bring some order to the Perl, at least in some standard idioms and such.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

 "Madnick said the diagram showed how Windows was like a 'house of
   cards' that could collapse if any of the pieces were removed...
 this was a witness *for* Microsoft... Microsoft is so arrogant, it
   can claim gross incompetence to avoid incrimination, and still
       look forward to getting away with it." - Keith Russell