[mdlug] Forget Perl, I'm switching to LOLCODE!

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Jun 4 08:40:50 EDT 2007

> From: Joseph Vartanian

> No, it's not wrong that you can read it.  This is actually much more
> legible than some of the Perl code that people write.

 The problem with Perl is that "There's more than one way to do it!" That's
a good thing in some ways, but like C++, most programmers end up using just
parts of the whole language, subsets.

 For detailed thoughts on this, see here: http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch04s02.html

 The key quote: "Some designs that are not compact have enough internal redundancy
of features that individual programmers end up carving out compact dialects
sufficient for that 80% of common tasks by choosing a working subset of the
language. Perl has this kind of pseudo-compactness, for example. Such designs have
a built-in trap; when two programmers try to communicate about a project, they may
find that differences in their working subsets are a significant barrier to
understanding and modifying the code."

 That's kept me from really working to learn Perl, despite its utility. So I asked
for this book for my birthday:

 http://www.amazon.com/Minimal-Perl-UNIX-Linux-People/dp/1932394508

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                      (313) 227-2317

     If the Bush administration can't sort New Orleans out,
               what are their chances in Iraq?