[mdlug] Forget Perl, I'm switching to LOLCODE!

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Sep 7 10:21:32 EDT 2007

> No. Learning the language is an important component. Sentence
> structure is not a requirement. If it was, nobody would
> understand anybody else's run-on sentences, sentence
> fragments, or dangling participles. But much as English
> professors complain, people can still understand one another
> pretty darned well.

	Sentence structure is one of the most important aspects of
communication.

	Improper use of grammatical structures can and will cause
considerable issues with communication.

	I have bosses who clearly, honestly believe they are saying one
thing, when the actual content of what they have written is going in the
opposite direction. This is all due to them either simply being unaware or
possibly refusing to believe in the correct use of the English language. I
am unable to count on one hand how many times in one week I am forced to
corner one or more of them in order to find out what the hell they are
really attempting to communicate.

> Perl is a (the only?) computer language written by a
> linguist. I personally find that to be a big plus.

	This is probably the most perplexing aspect of what went into the
design of Perl.

	One would assume a linguist would be painfully aware of the issues
apparent in mixing up grammatical structure. Apparently, that isn't always
the case.

	I really have to agree with Aaron on this point. I would illustrate
this further, if I had additional time, by rewriting everything I have
written in this email, ignoring and going against recognized grammar
standards in order to obfuscate the message.

	-Rob