[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantagesspeedetc.]

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Wed Oct 31 15:24:27 EDT 2007

David Lane wrote:
> It it an Intel Compiler?

That utterly immaterial

The law mandates that for Intel to do business with
the federal government, their functionality must be
available through a second source.  AMD pays Intel
the required licensing fees.

Intel presents the compiler with no caveats that
the compiler produces code which sandbags the
performance of SSE/SSE2/SSE3 compliant CPUs from
competing manufacturers.

If I were in Iraq, and found out that my particular
computer was running slow, because Intel had
deliberately monkey-wrenched the output of the
compiler running my mission-critical program,
solely because my particular piece of equipment
had a second-source CPU in it, and it cost the
lives of any of my fellow soldiers, I'd be pissed
off enough to take serious, substantial, and
extra-judicial actions against the company and
those people who perpetrated this crime.

Deliberately disabling optimizations just because
a CPU is produced by a competitor is just plain
flat out immoral, dishonest, and I'm willing to
bet, utterly illegal.

And I'm a "limited government" libertarian.

The right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.