[Alpine-alpha] GMail IMAP and (al)pine

Damion Yates damion at google.com
Wed Oct 31 10:10:32 EDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, vs-ml at email.cz wrote:

> Does anubody on the list have any experience with the new Google Mail
> (GMail) IMAP service they have just relased?

I've been using it for a while now helping weed out some bugs it had
with alpine.

> Is it better to use it without or with the /loser flag? I've found a
> page describing what they heven't implemented (yet?)

There is no THREAD support, with enough requests for it, they might add
support for this.

It also doesn't permit you to mark an email as deleted separately to
expunging, this is due to the poor handling of deleted emails in the
majority of clients used.  They may add UI configuration for this via
the web so you can switch the operation.  At the moment I think I can
request that it is manually tweaked back as I perfer the older behaviour
which permits undeleting too.

[snip]

Damion