[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 09:41:10 EDT 2007

I did read an article about re-compiling for the target cpu. It had to do with hyper-threading cpu Pentium 4 HT. You have to test the multi-tasked.

For example:
A few years back we had processes  that took too long , so I did an experiment. (This was at a college) There was a process that took an hour ans 20min to process 2000 students. So we broke up the data set and ran it in parallel I started both processes about 5 seconds a part. it took 29min to process 2000 students. Quite an improvement.

So there are a few thing that the 64bit dual core offerers:

1. Data Transfer
2. Large Calculations.
3. Multi Tasking

In my test the operating system switched tasks between both tasks, that was HP/UX with 5 cpus.  In this case there is just 2.

The other issue is handling memory.  64bit can point to more memory than 32bit.