[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 14:21:07 EDT 2007

In C/C++ the pointers are limited by the bit word that is doing the pointing.  In 64bit your types and variables are larger and have a larger range.

Theoretically

define MAX_BLOB_SIZE 128000;

class Example
{
public:
   //------: Data elements
   char m_ItemName;
   void m_Blob[MAX_BLOB_SIZE];

   //------: Pointer members Linked lists
   Example *m_NextExample;
   Example *m_PrevExample;

   //------: For sorting
   Example *m_LeftChild;
   Example *m_RightChild;

   //------: Function members
  int FunctionThatDoesStuff();

};

This is a class the holds a blob or what ever you want it ti be.  To compile and run the code you would not have to change the code to yield performance.  A program using this class can handle a larger list. And the "Tree" sort would perform better because the program stack is bigger.

When you declair it:

main()
{

   Example *l_Current Item = new Example;
   //------: do more stuff

}

Just by changing to 64bit AND compiling under 64bit you get better performance hence bigger scale,  and you project manager is happy because migration time is less.