[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 11:12:56 EDT 2007

Compiler settings help too.

David

----- Original Message ----
From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com>
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:58:02 AM
Subject: Re: [mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

David Lane wrote:
> The key to testing is the applications that exploit the 64bit chip.
>
> or  handling a multi-tasked heavy load like what is the response from
> good sized data base query.
>
> The testing of adding the sums of the square roots from 1 to
> 1,000,000,000 is okay but what about rendering a movie and
 > something else.

Right.  This shows that, in a case like this (compiling)
which is not a fundamentally 64-bit task, there's no
real performance increase.

For the time being, if you're buying new equipment,
you're probably better off getting 32-bit hardware
at rock-bottom prices, because not only the software,
but that for most tasks being done today, the nature
of the problem being solved is still usually 32-bit
or even less.

 (http://www.gemacs.com)

http://mail.yahoo.com