[mdlug] Help with Spotty Internet/Network Problems

Dave Arbogast mdlug2 at arb.net
Sat Oct 27 14:26:16 EDT 2007

Comcast Business service is doing some reverse QoS at their boarder
routers - they drop some UDP packets and introduce up to 3 seconds of
laytency when Vonage is your destination. When you complain, they offer
you their VoIP. When you really push, they send a tech who says nothing
is wrong, but if you switch to their VoIP it will all be good. When
pressed, they say it is because "the cable modems reboot when they see a
lot of traffic."  The tech will not qualify what value "a lot" is.

Solution is to not use Comcast business service if you want
un-manipulated service.  We're back to Covad with 6m/768k service.
Better upload than Comcast ever sold up.

-dave