[mdlug] Linux server, mixed clients

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 16:50:09 EDT 2007

Lug nuts,

I have a small site in which I added a Linux server and set up simple Samba
file sharing.  When I set it up a few years ago, the only clients on the
network were Win 2k and XP Pro.  So I just shared out a couple of
directories via Samba and mapped them to the workstations.  Pretty basic
setup.  Now I have a need to add a few more workstations to the network, and
since the hardware is older recycled equipment, I have loaded Ubuntu on
them.  Here's my question...  I would like to set them up with access to the
same shares as the Windows workstations on the server, but not sure the best
way to go about that.  Should I export them via NFS, or use samba on the
Linux client to attach to the samba shares on the Linux server?  Is there a
downside of doing either?  I'm curious what other folks have done.

-Mike