[mdlug] Darwinia game at Big Lots for $4

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Nov 30 10:20:26 EST 2007

> From: Rich Elswick

> Do not discount general eduction

 When I got my undergraduate degree, my graduation present was the *best ever*. My
parents sprung for a whole extra term where I could take whatever class I wanted.

 I had a great time. I took an anthropology course, a class on making holograms,
a course on literary fantasy (my one regret was that the science-fiction version
wasn't available that semester), the 'intro to women's studies' class (as a white
male middle-class heterosexual engineer, in the early 1990's... though for the
most part I was treated as a human being), and an 'intro to modern dance' class,
just because it was something I would ordinarily never, ever do.

 One of my favorite things to do when I was in college was, of an afternoon where
I had a long break between classes, go pick a random class and sit in. (I'd choose
a large auditorium so as not to disrupt things.) It was almost never boring, and
even in the boring ones I'd learn *something* I hadn't known I didn't know.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

 "I remember saying [...] that people would spend more money on software
 than on hardware. We certainly haven't passed that milestone by quite a
   margin. But particularly as software as a service becomes a reality
    [that might change]." -- Bill Gates, Newsweek, September 18th 2000