[mdlug] Memory modules

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:58:06 EST 2007

Drew wrote:
>     I am considering bringing the main brain up to or over a Gig of
> memory. There are two slots, each currently containing a 256M module.
> DRAM Access Time: 2.5V Unbuffered DDR200/266 MHz Type required.
> DRAM Type: 64MB/128MB/256MB/512MB/1GB DIMM Module (184 pin)

The referenced RAM is standard DDR memory.  Though the current
standard is DDR2 (with DDR3 just becoming available), first-generation
DDR is still being manufactured and is widely available.  Of course,
faster is better -- but most DDR available currently is 266 or higher.

Now is a REALLY good time to buy RAM, as most manufacturers are about
to cut back their production -- the failure of WinVista in the
marketplace has lead to a glut of RAM module availability, and NOBODY
is making any money on memory -- even Samsung, with their massive
economies of scale, is taking a beating.

Depending somewhat upon the processor and chipset, it's usually a good
idea to fill both slots with RAM that has the same capacity and speed
specifications.

~~ Mikey