[mdlug] Remotely Use Linux

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Nov 26 13:55:00 EST 2007

> From: Kristoffer Marshall

> It's basically an easy to set up VNC, with a lot of options for
> compression and whatnot. Just read the documentation and everything
> should be fine. It's pretty darn fast over the Internet. I just wish
> that it wouldn't create a new X server session. I'd like to use the
> current running session, but I haven't seen anything like
> that for linux.

 There's also "ssh -X". When you connect, ssh will set up X forwarding
and encrypt the traffic. You can fire up commands (e.g. "xterm &") and
they'll run on the remote machine and show up on the local one.

 Even works for Windows, given an X server running on Windows, like xming
or Cygwin's X server.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                              (313) 227-2317

 "Indeed, the one group that would almost certainly oppose the views of
     21st-century evangelicals are the 18th-century evangelicals."
                            Steven Waldman
     http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0604.waldman.html