[mdlug] Remotely Use Linux

Kristoffer Marshall marshall.kris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 08:57:57 EST 2007

Was: "A big opportunity for Linux?"

I've set up VNC manually before, and I have run a free X client in
Windows to spit out stuff from my X server over the network through a
SSH session (works very fast, forgot what the software was called). By
far the easiest solution I have come across is NoMachine
(www.nomachine.com). You set it up on the linux box as the server, throw
in an IP address or hostname on your Windows client, and it works. The
"NX Free Edition" for linux (from what I remember) is a server and
client package, which you will install on your linux box. Then you get
the Windows client (also free) to connect to the server. The only
problems I've had with it were when I was trying to connect to Oakand
University's server with the newest client. When I set it up at home
though, using the newest version on both computers worked pretty well.
It's basically an easy to set up VNC, with a lot of options for
compression and whatnot. Just read the documentation and everything
should be fine. It's pretty darn fast over the Internet. I just wish
that it wouldn't create a new X server session. I'd like to use the
current running session, but I haven't seen anything like that for linux.

Now if only there was a LogMeIn server for linux (www.logmein.com). I
love that stuff.