[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:48:39 EST 2007

> > >  What, specifically, do you need ACLs for that can't be
> > accomplished
> > > with more traditional u/g/o permissions?
> > A user wants two other user's to be able to edit their file, and the
> > secretary to be able to read the file?    The u/g/o permissions from
> > UNIX are basically useless to users.
> 	Linux does support ACLs.

No one said it didn't.

> 	...and you'll find plenty of hits regarding various methods for
> setting up and using ACLs in Linux.
> 	As a test, I opened up a web browser connection to my server and
> connected to Webmin. Webmin as a nifty Java based File Browser that supports
> the underlying elements available on the Filesystem.
> 	I created a testfile and then added extra users as having rights on
> that file, such as Read Only.
> 	It appears, without doing anything extra, that my recent
> installation of OpenSuSe 10.3 supports extended ACLs out of the gate.

>From the original message: "you can view/edit file ACLs from nautilus...
nope".  The context here is concerning LINUX as a viable desktop
alternative to Vista, supporting the end-user in reasonable security
practices.  Use of Webmin certainly isn't end-user.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com