[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Nov 20 16:23:53 EST 2007

> > > You can view/edit file ACLs from nautilus... nope.
> >  What, specifically, do you need ACLs for that can't be
> accomplished
> > with more traditional u/g/o permissions?
>
> A user wants two other user's to be able to edit their file, and the
> secretary to be able to read the file?    The u/g/o permissions from
> UNIX are basically useless to users.

	Linux does support ACLs.

	Just Google: ACLs for Linux (no quotes required)

	...and you'll find plenty of hits regarding various methods for
setting up and using ACLs in Linux.

	As a test, I opened up a web browser connection to my server and
connected to Webmin. Webmin as a nifty Java based File Browser that supports
the underlying elements available on the Filesystem.

	I created a testfile and then added extra users as having rights on
that file, such as Read Only.

	It appears, without doing anything extra, that my recent
installation of OpenSuSe 10.3 supports extended ACLs out of the gate.

	-Rob

P.S. You know this is a Linux User Group list, right? It really seems like
you are talking about 5+ year old problems as being current issues and
reasons not to use Linux. I'd hazard to suggest that it is almost FUDish.