[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Nov 20 16:53:16 EST 2007

> > > accomplished
> > > A user wants two other user's to be able to edit their
> file, and the
> > > secretary to be able to read the file?    The u/g/o
> permissions from
> > > UNIX are basically useless to users.
> > 	Linux does support ACLs.
>
> No one said it didn't.
>
> > 	...and you'll find plenty of hits regarding various methods for
> > setting up and using ACLs in Linux.
> > 	As a test, I opened up a web browser connection to my
> server and
> > connected to Webmin. Webmin as a nifty Java based File Browser that
> > supports the underlying elements available on the Filesystem.
> > 	I created a testfile and then added extra users as
> having rights on
> > that file, such as Read Only.
> > 	It appears, without doing anything extra, that my
> recent installation
> > of OpenSuSe 10.3 supports extended ACLs out of the gate.
>
> >From the original message: "you can view/edit file ACLs from
> nautilus...
> nope".  The context here is concerning LINUX as a viable
> desktop alternative to Vista, supporting the end-user in
> reasonable security practices.  Use of Webmin certainly isn't
> end-user.

	Konqueror supports that as well and it certainly is an End-User app.

	Under the properties of a file, there's a tab marked Permissions, on
that tab is a button marked "Advanced Permissions", which allows to use
ACLs. Konqueror is designed with the Power User in mind, for the most part
only power users or admins would think/consider the use of such ACLs.

	Nautilus, in fact all of GNOME, (unless something has changed
recently) has always been aimed at the "Average User", which are those
people who are just above thinking that a mouse is similar to a foot pedal
for a sewing machine all the way up to those who THINK they are "power
users" but really are nowhere near that ability/understanding.

	Now, I haven't used Nautilus in a little while, so I could be wrong,
it may actually support advanced permissions now as well. I'll load it up on
my test machine and see if that's the case and report later.

	I only used Webmin earlier because the test machine is in another
area that I hadn't felt like walking to.

	-Rob