[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Sat Nov 3 10:25:50 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 00:34 -0400, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> Peter Bart wrote:
> >
> > Okay then, I need to ask a stupid question. I finally received the new
> > laptop and it has a 64 bit processor.
> >
> > Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T55004
> > o 1.66GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB with 64-bit
> > • Mobile Intel® 945PM Express Chipset
> > • Integrated Wi-Fi® compliant wireless LAN
> >
> > Since it has that capability I was going to load the 64 bit version of
> > opensuse, if for nothing more than to know that it's there. Will this be
> > a hindrance to me, running openoffice, web browsers, VMWare? How about
> > running a 32 bit copy of Vista in a 62 bit opensuse? Or will I simply
> > not notice it? I'm not sure what you mean by the "dance on a host"
> > statement.
>
> Congrats on the new rig!

Thank you! I will be using opensuse. I'll post my results and
experiences. I'm not so sure I'll be able to give this up when I'm done
with it ;-) That 17"display is gorgeous, it's a lot lighter than I
thought it would be. It'll be hard to look at that every day but she'll
be happy!

> Back in August I finally built myself a new Core2 Dual desktop machine,
> demoting my 1.1 GHz PIII the rank of backup computer.
>
> At first I ran the 32 bit version of SuSE 10.2. I was very pleased. Of
> course it was much faster and quicker than the machine it had replaced.
>
> After a couple of weeks I got brave and installed the 64 bit version on
> an extra partition. Everything works just like on the 32 bit version.
> But I can't say it was really worth the trouble. I've used it for two
> months now, and it doesn't really seem quite as quick to open new
> windows, etc, as I remember the 32 bit being. But that assessment could
> also be colored by the newness of the machine at first.
>
> So far I've stuck with the 64 bit mostly "because it's there", but for
> my day to day use the difference hasn't really been worth the time spent
> worrying about it.

	Thanks to all who have offered advice and their experiences.

Best Regards,
--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
http://petertheplumber.net