[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

Carl T. Miller millerc at cantonpl.org
Fri Nov 2 08:41:34 EDT 2007

Peter Bart wrote:
> Okay then, I need to ask a stupid question. I finally received the new
> laptop and it has a 64 bit processor.
>
> Intel® Core? 2 Duo Processor T55004
> o 1.66GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB with 64-bit
> ? Mobile Intel® 945PM Express Chipset
> ? Integrated Wi-Fi® compliant wireless LAN
>
> Since it has that capability I was going to load the 64 bit version of
> opensuse, if for nothing more than to know that it's there. Will this be
> a hindrance to me, running openoffice, web browsers, VMWare? How about
> running a 32 bit copy of Vista in a 62 bit opensuse? Or will I simply
> not notice it? I'm not sure what you mean by the "dance on a host"
> statement.

I've been installing SLES (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server) and SLED
(SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) on several workstations and servers.
I used the 64 bit version for a Core 2 Duo server, and had no problems
with 32/64 bit versions of software.  I read something about how SuSE
compiles their 32 bit software to run in a 32 bit environment with the
32 bit libraries, and this is all transparent to the user.  As long
as you install packages from the 64 bit repositories, I don't think
you'll see any problems.

I run VMware on that server and had no issues.  You can install
either a 32 bit or 64 bit OS inside a virtual host.

I'd say give opensuse a try and let us know how well it works.