[mdlug] [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.]

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 2 00:34:53 EDT 2007

Peter Bart wrote:

> Okay then, I need to ask a stupid question. I finally received the new
> laptop and it has a 64 bit processor.
>
> Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T55004
> o 1.66GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB with 64-bit
> • Mobile Intel® 945PM Express Chipset
> • Integrated Wi-Fi® compliant wireless LAN
>
> Since it has that capability I was going to load the 64 bit version of
> opensuse, if for nothing more than to know that it's there. Will this be
> a hindrance to me, running openoffice, web browsers, VMWare? How about
> running a 32 bit copy of Vista in a 62 bit opensuse? Or will I simply
> not notice it? I'm not sure what you mean by the "dance on a host"
> statement.

Congrats on the new rig!

Back in August I finally built myself a new Core2 Dual desktop machine,
demoting my 1.1 GHz PIII the rank of backup computer.

At first I ran the 32 bit version of SuSE 10.2. I was very pleased. Of
course it was much faster and quicker than the machine it had replaced.

After a couple of weeks I got brave and installed the 64 bit version on
an extra partition. Everything works just like on the 32 bit version.
But I can't say it was really worth the trouble. I've used it for two
months now, and it doesn't really seem quite as quick to open new
windows, etc, as I remember the 32 bit being. But that assessment could
also be colored by the newness of the machine at first.

So far I've stuck with the 64 bit mostly "because it's there", but for
my day to day use the difference hasn't really been worth the time spent
worrying about it.

My $0.02
Raymond McLaughlin