[mdlug] *nix company roll call

Kristoffer Marshall marshall.kris at gmail.com
Fri May 18 13:30:52 EDT 2007

Hey, I moved out of my parent's basement last year! :-p

I find this interesting though:

// Snip --------
No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

However attractive free software may seem, IDC analyst Al Gillen is
quick to remind purchasers that acquisition cost isn't the full story:
"The cost of [IT] is typically dominated by labor costs, which can
make up 60% to 75% of the three- or five-year cost of ownership."

So, a linux system is cheaper, and IT support costs the same. Either
way, you're still saving money. I've seen reports in the past saying
that UNIX/Linux IT support is more costly than MS support because
there are a lack of UNIX/Linux admins. In my experience, most
companies won't even interview you unless you know MS Server 2003. I
just think it's funny how you read these reports about how linux is
cheaper, but support costs the same ... duh. No matter how cheap your
car is, you're still paying the mechanic the same amount of money as
the next guy.