[mdlug] *nix company roll call

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri May 18 13:27:22 EDT 2007

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how many Michigan companies do you know of
> extensively use or support Unix/Linux/BSD/Solaris etc?

This is a very interesting thread for me, since I'm considering moving
to the area (to be closer to my fiancee's family).  I realize that most
universities have Unix and Linux jobs, but I always like seeing a lot of
industry jobs in the area too.

My biggest fear is usually having to get a job in a very MS-centric
community.  I've talked to recruiters who were convinced Linux ran on
top of windows (as an application, not in some sort of emulation or
virtualization environment), who thought "Plain Text" meant a word
document, and kept sending me to interviews in windows environments
where I ended up looking and feeling stupid.

At least I know there LUGs in the area!