[mdlug] *nix company roll call

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Fri May 18 14:30:51 EDT 2007

Kristoffer Marshall wrote:
> Hey, I moved out of my parent's basement last year! :-p
>
> I find this interesting though:
>
> // Snip --------
> No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
>
> However attractive free software may seem, IDC analyst Al Gillen is
> quick to remind purchasers that acquisition cost isn't the full story:
> "The cost of [IT] is typically dominated by labor costs, which can
> make up 60% to 75% of the three- or five-year cost of ownership."
> // Snip --------
>
> So, a linux system is cheaper, and IT support costs the same. Either
> way, you're still saving money. I've seen reports in the past saying
> that UNIX/Linux IT support is more costly than MS support because
> there are a lack of UNIX/Linux admins. In my experience, most
> companies won't even interview you unless you know MS Server 2003. I
> just think it's funny how you read these reports about how linux is
> cheaper, but support costs the same ... duh. No matter how cheap your
> car is, you're still paying the mechanic the same amount of money as
> the next guy.

Hah.

Why is it that 10 people can administrate 5,000 Unix desktops and
servers all over the country from one room in Troy, but an equivalent
number of Windows desktops requires over 100 admins, with at least
one admin at each site.

Anyone who thinks the costs of a COMPETANT level of administrative
work for Windows is less than or equal to that of Unix and Linux is
using some very profound hallucinogens.

By the way, when I interview for jobs, I deny ANY useable knowledge
where Windows is concerned, and in interviews, I say straight out,
"I will take NO responsibility for anything going wrong with
any Windows platform or software," and no interviewer (recruiter,
HR, or tech manager) has ever showed the slightest negative reaction
(facial expression, vocal noises, etc) to that statement.