[mdlug] Ubuntu vs. FedoraCore vs. SuSE

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sat May 12 01:31:05 EDT 2007

On 5/11/07, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com> wrote:
>  I have been seeing a lot of chatter about
> Ubuntu but have never used it. Is it enough better than either FC or SuSE to
> take on a third distro? I have no plans to stop using the other two distros.

At the distro level it's a choice between package managers, app
selection (official and third-party repositories), package upgrade
risk tolerance (progress vs. stability) , and release lifecycle
(security updates and backports).

Any distro can share the same problems not only with derivatives but
with any other distro that uses a particular version of a package.  In
Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn), many USB-connected scanners are unusable
due to conflicts with the USB suspend/resume function in the kernel
(Bug #85488).  This affects most Ubuntu derivatives and other distros
like Gentoo that use the same kernel.  If you want new features then
you have to tolerate higher risk.  For stability with Ubuntu you may
find that 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) is a better choice than Feisty or
Edgy Eft (6.10).