[mdlug] Ubuntu vs. FedoraCore vs. SuSE

Grant glarb at comcast.net
Sat May 12 00:17:16 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 16:56 -0400, Stan Green wrote:
> I have the opportunity to reinstall Linux on a file server. (I don't care to
> talk about why.) I would also like to make it a mail server some day. This is
> all for my home network. Right now I have machines with Fedora Core 6 (Web
> server) and SuSE 10.1 (Desktop). I have been seeing a lot of chatter about
> Ubuntu but have never used it. Is it enough better than either FC or SuSE to
> take on a third distro? I have no plans to stop using the other two distros.

For servers it's a no-brainer, Slackware!
My file server has been up for around two years.  I'm using nfs exports
to other linux boxes and samba for the holdout XPee box.

The stock 2.4.33 kernel is a bit outdated but rock solid stable.  If you
need a 2.6 kernel then I would skip the optional ones included and build
it yourself.  There's pkgtool, swaret, slackupdate and slapt-get as well
as http://www.linuxpackages.net so adding and updating isn't really much
of a problem anymore.

--
Grant