[mdlug] Semi-OT: Another BIG WinVista misstep

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:52:00 EDT 2007

On 5/10/07, Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:

>  Linux has been 64-bit ready for more than a decade now

Uh... define "Linux" and "ready". Sure, the kernel's been 64 bit and
stable for a long time. If you define "Linux" as being an entire
distro (and I do), then it's not quite perfect yet. I got an AMD 64 a
couple years ago, and installed a 64-bit Linux distro, and it had some
fairly serious (for my uses) issues. I lived with them for a while,
but wound up going back to a 32 bit system to avoid the headaches.
With the arrival yesterday of my new Athlon64 x2 I decided to
re-install Mepis as 64-bit, and I haven't discovered anything not
working yet. But I understand that there's still no Java-for-browsers
unless you go with a 32 bit browser. So if half the apps you regularly
use are 32-bit, are you really running a 64-bit system?

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/