[mdlug] Semi-OT: Another BIG WinVista misstep

Clinton V. Weiss cvweiss at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:04:35 EDT 2007

Wolfger, your points are almost identical to my thoughts on the
subject.  In December I bought an AMD64 and promptly installed Ubuntu
for 64bit - and I found way too many things missing.  Flash, Java,
Wine were all just not "ready".  So for a few months I dabbled with
Gentoo and, through dozens and dozens of hours of work, got everything
mostly working.  With this newest release of Ubuntu, I thought I'd
give it a shot.  I downloaded both the AMD64 Ubuntu and the default
32bit Ubuntu and installed the AMD version first.  Still no go on
Wine!  So I dropped in the 32bit and everything just works -
wonderfully as a matter of fact.  And performance is quite comparable
to what I had going with Gentoo.

To sum it up - 64bit is nice and all, but I'm more of a "just get the
damn thing to work without wasting my time" kind of guy, and got tired
of Gentoo.  I'll go with what works quickly and works well, and if
thats a 32bit distro, then so be it.