[mdlug] Problems with new kernel and iptables

Mike Lists at addictz.org
Sat Mar 31 15:56:13 EDT 2007

Carl T. Miller wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>> When I try and load my firewall, I get the error message:
>>
>> FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
>>
>> Repeated several times.  When I try to input lines like:
>>
>> iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp  -m multiport  --dports
>> 80,443  -m state --state NEW  -j ACCEPT
>>
>> is when I the error message.  I think it might be a problem using
>> the -m multiport flag?
>>

> One of the guys on lugwash had a similar problem, although
> I don't recall the details.  He found that a newer version
> of iptables (the command) had been installed.  He uninstalled
> it, reinstalled the previous version, and the firewall
> started working again.
>
> Out of curiousity, what distro are you using?  I've been
> using iptables firewalls on Debian for both sarge and etch
> and haven't seen this issue.

Odd, I have been recompiling iptables with every new kernel compile
(iptables 1.3.7).  Looks like I finally solved the problem, I made
all the iptable, netfilter, and xtable stuff in the kernel as
modules.  Now I get no errors when I run my firewall.

I'm not sure if it is some bug with the kernel or netfilter
(iptables), seems odd it would work as a module, but not compiled
into the kernel.

I'm using Slack 10.2.

Thanks

Mike