[mdlug] Problems with new kernel and iptables

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Mar 31 16:29:09 EDT 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:12:37 -0400 (EDT)
Carl T. Miller wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > When I try and load my firewall, I get the error message:
> >
> > FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
> >
> > Repeated several times.  When I try to input lines like:
> >
> > iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp  -m multiport  --dports
> > 80,443  -m state --state NEW  -j ACCEPT
> >
> > is when I the error message.  I think it might be a problem using
> > the -m multiport flag?
> >

> One of the guys on lugwash had a similar problem, although
> I don't recall the details.  He found that a newer version
> of iptables (the command) had been installed.  He uninstalled
> it, reinstalled the previous version, and the firewall
> started working again.
>
> Out of curiousity, what distro are you using?  I've been
> using iptables firewalls on Debian for both sarge and etch
> and haven't seen this issue.

'Twas I with the iptables problem.  In my case the problem was quite
different.  I had installed a new version of iptables which used a new
version of glibc which was built for a newer version of the kernel than
I was running.  The result was that the kernel was rejecting
setsockopt() calls because the new library used a differently sized
option buffer than the old kernel expected..  The fix was to downgrade
the iptables package (to use the older glibc which used a buffer of the
expected size).

Regards,

David