[mdlug] Problems with new kernel and iptables

Carl T. Miller millerc at cantonpl.org
Sat Mar 31 15:12:37 EDT 2007

Mike wrote:
> When I try and load my firewall, I get the error message:
>
> FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
>
> Repeated several times.  When I try to input lines like:
>
> iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp  -m multiport  --dports
> 80,443  -m state --state NEW  -j ACCEPT
>
> is when I the error message.  I think it might be a problem using
> the -m multiport flag?

One of the guys on lugwash had a similar problem, although
I don't recall the details.  He found that a newer version
of iptables (the command) had been installed.  He uninstalled
it, reinstalled the previous version, and the firewall
started working again.

Out of curiousity, what distro are you using?  I've been
using iptables firewalls on Debian for both sarge and etch
and haven't seen this issue.