[mdlug] Vista DRM hurts Linux?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Mar 27 12:06:10 EDT 2007

> From: Craig Maloney

> > Imagine the reaction from Microsoft customers that their hardware
> > is suddenly 'de-supported' even though they personally did nothing
> > wrong...
>
> We've already seen this. People who change up their hardware have had
> issues with WGA and Windows XP.

 Not quite the same thing. I mean, suddenly your video card - that has been
playing your HD movies fine - stops playing "premium content" after a
Windows Update. Then you find out that it's not because of anything you
did - it's because some hacker somewhere found a way to bypass DRM for that
hardware. So MS sent out a 'blacklist' that prevents that card from
working properly for anyone. Including you, even though you didn't do
anything wrong.

> People are remarkably adaptable to adverse changes.

 Yes, but to my knowledge, such blacklists haven't actually been used
yet. It'll be interesting if MS ever tries. I don't see that working out
terribly well for them.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                             (313) 227-2317

 "As it stands now, for the vast majority of the populace, selecting a
 leader is like deciding which dishwasher detergent to purchase at the
 grocery store. You have a couple of brands with big, flashy, colorful
      boxes, that smell the same, look the same, and are probably
           manufactured by the same company." - Dan J. Rempe