[mdlug] Knoppix from Windoze

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 21:34:56 EDT 2007

On Saturday 17 March 2007, David Relson wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but it's a chance to introduce
> some folks to the power of a Linux LiveCD.
>
> A while back I had a call from my sister.  Her husband's niece has
> vital quicken data on a b0rked WinXP machine...
>
> My thought is boot linux and copy the quicken data file to a USB
> memory stick for processing on a non-b0rked machine.
>
> Step 1 for my sister has been downloading Knoppix 5.1.
>
> Step 2 will be using her WinXP machine to burn the ISO as a bootable
> CD.
>
> Question:  anybody know how to do that from Windoze?
>
> Regards,
>
> David

You might try Kubuntu instead of Knoppix.  It has K3B by default IIRC,
and the install disk is also a live CD.  If everything works by well,
you could go the next step and install Kubuntu directly.

Also, Quicken has perl modules that allow you to access its data.
Perhaps that is not important.  IIRC, the Quicken database is an open
published format as of a few years ago.

--
Mike
www.dynaorg.com