[mdlug] Parallel port print server

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Sat Mar 17 10:44:59 EDT 2007

R. Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two old parallel port printers, one of which is connected to a Linux desktop. That printer works well while accessed either from the desktop or from a laptop running Linux. But does not seem to work at all (through samba) with Windoze from the same laptop or another desktop.
>
> So, I am looking to use the other printer with a wired or wireless print server. There seems to be a very few that can support parallel port printers. Does anyone have any experience with these gadgets?
>

> I found two while googling
>
> Hawking Tech Wireless G Print Server 2 USB 1PAR 10/100 LAN IPP 802.11G - HWPS12UG - Wireless
> MODEL- HPS12U VENDOR- HAWKING TECHNOLOGIES FEATURES- 2 USB + 1 Parallel Port - Wired

No need for all of that nonsense...

Just set it up as a REMOTE PRINTER on the MS machine, specifying
the hostname (if it's in the "hosts" file of the MS machine) or
IP address of the Linux box, and the name(s) of the
printer queue(s) that you want to use.

As long as your machine will recognize lpr commands
over the network, then you're good to go.