[mdlug] The new "surface" computer

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Jul 17 13:16:30 EDT 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:[mdlug] The new "surface" computer
From: Morris, Tim <tmorris at ugs.com>
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:50:57 PM
> Nothing new. It's called marketing. Don't you guys remember when
> Microsoft "invented" the symbolic link?
>
> Words have no meaning these days.
>
> --  Tim Morris - UGS PLM Software

    Their "symbolic link" isn't even a real "symbolic" link. It's some
binary crap that contains information about where the real file is.
This, for some bizarre reason, sometimes comes across as a complete
surprise to even instructors of computer science classes who are
familiar with how UNIX Symbolic links function.

    MS does some really crappy things when they copy an original
idea/concept.

    Did you know that there is a method in the NTFS file system to truly
and effectively hide files? I forgot the exact name of the feature, I
believe it's called "slip" something. What it does is allows you to
"hide" files by filling in the remaining bits of a cluster that aren't
fully used by the real/visible file. It's slipping a file into/under an
existing file and it supposedly completely hides the file.

    I have no idea why anyone would consider that a "good" feature that
would be acceptable in a "secure" environment, since one could use that
feature to sneak secrets out of a computer network within an otherwise
benign file.

    -Rob