[mdlug] The new "surface" computer

Joseph Vartanian jvartanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:01:24 EDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Robert Adkins <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:
> [...]

That NTFS feature is called "alternative data streams".  Play with it
a little...it's actually interesting.  You can do something like
create a 1 KB text file, and then hide a 500 KB executable in it.  The
thing still looks like a 1 KB text file that you can open and use like
any regular text file, but you can also run the executable hidden in
it with a simple command.  Some spyware and trojan writers have
learned to utilize alternative data streams to hide their files.  Many
anti-spyware and anti-virus programs don't search for alternative data
streams.  Windows also does not come with any tool to let you find
alternative data stream in your filesystem.  If you want that, you
have to download tools like Sysinternals' Streams (now owned by
Microsoft).  From what I understand Apple has something similar in
their OS, but I'm not much into Apple.

-Joseph