[mdlug] new system

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 22:24:39 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 16:47:32 -0700
"Michael S. Mikowski" <z_mikowski at yahoo.com> wrote:

/snip

> Disks: If you can swing it, get 3: one for the system, the other two
> for data in a RAID 1 or 0+1 configuration.  If you want speed, get a
> raptor for your system disk.  Around $200 for 100G disks.

/snip

RAID 0+1 requires 4 disks minimum, and if you want a separate one for
the system that is five.  I prefer to use NFS over RAID 1 or RAID 5
myself, and don't see any reason the system requires a separate disk.
This can work with 2 disks nicely (RAID 1), or with 3-or-more if you
require lots of storage (RAID 5).

Regards,
Matthew