[mdlug] new system

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Tue Jul 10 01:46:21 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 04:47:32PM -0700, Michael S. Mikowski wrote:
> $0.02:
>
> CPU: look at AMD5600+ X2 (dual core).  Used to cost around $450, now can
> be found for $170.  Great buy, and outperforms intel at the same
> pricepoint by 15-20%.

wait for the AMD CPU price cuts to make it to the retail channel:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070709-amd-cuts-prices-may-move-some-production-to-tsmc.html

> MOBO: X2 compatible, of course.  Can't recall mine right now, but it was
> a great deal, and included built-in sound, nvidia graphics (I think it
> was FX 5200), etc.  nForce 4(?) chipset.  All for like $90.

The Asus M2A-VM HDMI is about $75 and has everything most people
might want except a lot of slots.  Abit makes a similar board.

> RAM: Consider 2MB, 2 stick, dual channel, ddr (800Mhz?).  This should
> run around $200 - 250.

If you're trying to make your money stretch, lower-speed ram is significantly
cheaper.

> Disks: If you can swing it, get 3: one for the system, the other two for
> data in a RAID 1 or 0+1 configuration.  If you want speed, get a raptor
> for your system disk.  Around $200 for 100G disks.

minor nit:  any integrated raid would do the right thing for you,
but if you were manually setting things up with software raid or
layering hardware and software, or something, you'd want to make
sure to do 1+0, rather than 0+1; the survivability is much better
if you start with raid1's and then raid0 across them.  Although as
i think about it, with only 4 disks, the survivability is probably
the same either way.

> Others: Get a good powersupply; consider a low-noise case for multimedia
> (my case cost more than my mobo, but it is fantastically quiet).

don't cheap out on the power supply, ESPECIALLY if you leave the
thing on all the time.  the electricity cost difference between a
60% efficient and an 80% efficient PSU really adds up fast.

 www.80plus.org

i also recommend pc power & cooling although i don't think they
have any 80% efficient PSU's yet; they have plenty in the 75% range
and their stuff is rock solid.

danno