[mdlug] new system

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 19:47:32 EDT 2007

$0.02:

CPU: look at AMD5600+ X2 (dual core).  Used to cost around $450, now can
be found for $170.  Great buy, and outperforms intel at the same
pricepoint by 15-20%.

MOBO: X2 compatible, of course.  Can't recall mine right now, but it was
a great deal, and included built-in sound, nvidia graphics (I think it
was FX 5200), etc.  nForce 4(?) chipset.  All for like $90.

RAM: Consider 2MB, 2 stick, dual channel, ddr (800Mhz?).  This should
run around $200 - 250.

Disks: If you can swing it, get 3: one for the system, the other two for
data in a RAID 1 or 0+1 configuration.  If you want speed, get a raptor
for your system disk.  Around $200 for 100G disks.

Video: NVIDIA 7800GTX 512MB if you want to go high-end for $200 or so.
You can get a dual DVI NVIDIA 7600 GS 512MB from PNY for around 120 from
NewEgg.  And that's probably still more than you need.

Distro: I like Kubuntu.  Today, just installed Google Earth with a mouse
click.  Gotta love it.  YMMV.

Others: Get a good powersupply; consider a low-noise case for multimedia
(my case cost more than my mobo, but it is fantastically quiet).

--
Mike
www.dynaorg.com