[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)

Dr. Robert J. Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Mon Jul 9 05:44:40 EDT 2007

Jeff,

>> Why does it seem like most if not all of the major CAE vendors have
>> converted their apps to linux but the CAD vendors have not?

Chrsyler Group uses Catia on aix systems.

> I'm a PCB Designer.  There are some PCB design apps, Kicad and gEDA
> but I haven't tried to design anything in them yet.

Last year, I developed an in-house PCB CAD facility with perl/C++/java
wrappers around gEDA.  Though yet too simple for publication,
it served my needs, which were primarily for circuit validation
(tolerance to component variations) and pcb validation (does the mask
match the circuit).

Reporting,
--
Bob