[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Jul 9 09:07:35 EDT 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)
From: dean <mdlug at sbcglobal.net>
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Date: Sunday, July 08, 2007 8:50:24 AM
> Hello, I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this question:
> Why does it seem like most if not all of the major CAE vendors have
> converted their apps to linux but the CAD vendors have not?
>
> At my current job, my boss likes linux and we use it wherever we can,
> along with legacy unix.   He would like to roll out CAD linux boxes, but
> neither UG nor Catia are available for linux.
>
> Does it have to do with 3d graphics?   Hypermesh, Ansa, and Star CD all
> use graphics, and they all exist for linux.   We use them on linux.
> And abaqus, I think.
>
> Is it politics and/or M$ money?
>
> TIA, &, Scratching my head, Dean

    This absolutely beats me.

    UG and Catia are/were both born upon UNIX, so it seems to me that it
should be far from immeasurably difficult to port over to Linux.

    The French made CAD/CAM package we use is/was initially launched on
UNIX as well, it still has some UNIX-y feel to certain aspects of it and
may well still be available on UNIX in France, just not in the US...

    All I can say/suggest is keep requesting Linux ports and maybe one
day that will happen.

    -Rob