[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 13:39:13 EDT 2007

On 7/8/07, dean <mdlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this question:
> Why does it seem like most if not all of the major CAE vendors have
> converted their apps to linux but the CAD vendors have not?

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=165630&page=9 (note last post)
http://www.freelists.org/archives/cad-linux/

I'm a PCB Designer.  There are some PCB design apps, Kicad and gEDA
but I haven't tried to design anything in them yet.  The primary
player in the electronics CAD market is Altium (formerly Protel) and
it's unlikely that they will port to Linux because they can't even get
their Windows-based products stable.