[mdlug] OpenSuSE ???

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 08:05:41 EDT 2007

As I said I have an off brand Motherboard.  I downloaded OpenSUSE 10.2 this week and it was able to auto detect the hardware, that was great however I'm getting curruption errors for the disk image.

  This Version has more SATA drive support.

  David

DRIVERAY at ameritech.net wrote:
  I haven't tried SuSE 10.2 on a note book, haven't tried zen, and
I use KDE and thunderbird, not gnome and evolution, so I can't
add to Peter's comments.

Some of the issues I have encountered so far:
There is no kernel level automounter. The actually did away with
subfs with 10.1, most discussion of this seems to date from march
of '06. Subfs was a rather ugly cludge, but it did work, and I
had gotten used to it with 10.0. Now automounting of CDs and
other removable media is provided only processes of KDE (or I
guess gnome). If you boot to command line, or use a light weight
desktop, you will have to use manual mounting which means setting
up sudo, or giving all user's root. At least this is what I have
been able to discover so far. The system I set up does in fact
use KDE, so it is, so far, a theoretical problem.

The other glaring issue I encountered was that the first online
update decided to scramble my grub menu. I had set it up the way
I wanted it, but the online update decided to add back duplicates
of some entries I had commented out, removed enteries I had
added, and scrambled the menu order. It wasn't hard to put it
back the way I wanted, but grrrr!

Besides these things it seems, so far, to be pretty solid.

Raymond McLaughlin