[mdlug] OpenSuSE ???

DRIVERAY at ameritech.net DRIVERAY at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 4 11:03:55 EDT 2007

I haven't tried SuSE 10.2 on a note book, haven't tried zen, and
I use KDE and thunderbird, not gnome and evolution, so I can't
add to Peter's comments.

Some of the issues I have encountered so far:
There is no kernel level automounter. The actually did away with
subfs with 10.1, most discussion of this seems to date from march
of '06. Subfs was a rather ugly cludge, but it did work, and I
had gotten used to it with 10.0. Now automounting of CDs and
other removable media is provided only processes of KDE (or I
guess gnome). If you boot to command line, or use a light weight
desktop, you will have to use manual mounting which means setting
up sudo, or giving all user's root. At least this is what I have
been able to discover so far. The system I set up does in fact
use KDE, so it is, so far, a theoretical problem.

The other glaring issue I encountered was that the first online
update decided to scramble my grub menu. I had set it up the way
I wanted it, but the online update decided to add back duplicates
 of some entries I had commented out, removed enteries I had
added, and scrambled the menu order. It wasn't hard to put it
back the way I wanted, but grrrr!

Besides these things it seems, so far, to be pretty solid.

Raymond McLaughlin