[mdlug] Suggestions for flash-drive Linux?

Clinton V. Weiss cvweiss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 15:31:09 EST 2007

On 1/3/07, Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
<snip>
>  Mind you, I'm not convinced the benefits are any better than marginal, and
> by far the better solution is "add more RAM". But I can see - in some *very*
> specific situations - it being a win. Such situations are so rare I can't
> imagine why they bothered, but... oh, wait, we're talking Windows here.
> Swapping is essentially inevitable in a Windows system no matter how much
> RAM you add.

That isn't alway true.  Here at work I must use Windows XP.  Since I
have 2 gigs of RAM on my system, I fully utilize it by turning off all
paging.  Windows runs like a dream when it's completely in memory.
I've ran out of memory once, and that was completely my fault for not
paying attention to what I was doing.

Photoshop will complain about not having a page file when I start it,
but since I only use it once every 3 months, I don't really care.  I
prefer GIMP anyways.

--
Clinton V. Weiss
cvweiss at gmail.com