[mdlug] IBM plants Linux on the desktop

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:37:28 EST 2007

On 2/13/07, Drew <drew4096 at gmail.com> wrote:
>     What Is The Difference???

Macro support is one problem that is being worked on.  Not all of
Excel's formulas are supported either.  My own issue is that OOO
doesn't support database queries with a UNION statement but I should
probably start using a real database report instead of a spreadsheet.

My 60+ year old mother (retired administrative assistant) made the
switch to OOO with only a few complaints.  She didn't have a choice -
her old PC failed and all I had was one of those mass produced HP
systems with non-standard parts that wouldn't support WinXP.  I put
Mandrake on it and she figured it and OOO out in a week.  Then I got
her an HP R707 digital camera and showed her Digicam and GIMP and she
does all of her photos digitally now.

> I'm with finding employees who *can* deal with Open Office, versus
> the ones who "can't".

The educational system is designed to mass produce functional staff so
they stick with the software with the largest market share.  The
instructors are products of the same system.  It would be a lot better
if they taught word processing, not M$ Word.  The students can't think
outside the box.  It's like a script vs. AI.