[mdlug] IBM plants Linux on the desktop

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Feb 14 14:16:36 EST 2007

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Drew <drew4096 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>     What Is The Difference???
>>

> Macro support is one problem that is being worked on.  Not all of
> Excel's formulas are supported either.  My own issue is that OOO
> doesn't support database queries with a UNION statement but I should
> probably start using a real database report instead of a spreadsheet.

    One thing that bugged me about OpenOffice.org, for the longest time
was the lack of being able to handle those "Drop Down" menus that can be
created within an Excel document. It just didn't know what to do with
them and that was that.

    OO.o 2.0.2 was the first version I checked that actually can display
that kind of Excel data.

> The educational system is designed to mass produce functional staff so
> they stick with the software with the largest market share.  The
> instructors are products of the same system.  It would be a lot better
> if they taught word processing, not M$ Word.  The students can't think
> outside the box.  It's like a script vs. AI.
    That's very true.

    It would be much superior if the education system didn't "train" so
much as "show" the way to learn. Showing how to learn could potentially
eliminate many of the technical problems that people/users have.
Unfortunately, I have a strong feeling that at more than half of the
population would never be able to cope with such a system, even if
started at a very young age and would thus never learn anything. Those
people need to be "Trained" how to do things, since they are likely the
majority...

    -Rob