[mdlug] It happened...

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Thu Dec 20 13:22:49 EST 2007

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>  Well, it depends. I assume you mean that the cell provider would be the
> ISP, right? You'd be downloading data over the cell signal?

Yes, I already have WiFi on the laptop.  The cell provider would
be the backup ISP of last resort.

>  Now, apparently you also want to be able to hook up a laptop to the phone
> and essentially use the phone as a 'modem' for the laptop? This can be
> done, and there are several phones that do so, though I don't have
> experience with that.

Well, I guess you could call the phone a modem, although I wouldn't
want to call an ISP.  I'd want to use the cell phone's Internet
connection on my laptop.

>  Palm handhelds work with Linux nicely, the support is quite mature.

Do you know if they will connect a laptop to the Internet using a
cable?

I'm willing to do some research...I'm just hoping someone can
give me a head start in the right direction!