[mdlug] [TECH] kill -KILL fails to kill /usr/bin/schilly/cdrecord

Paul set at pobox.com
Tue Aug 28 23:20:18 EDT 2007

Wolfger <wolfger at gmail.com>, on Tue Aug 28, 2007 [02:57:59 PM] said:
> On 8/28/07, Robert Meier <eaglecoach at wwnet.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anybody before seen a case where a process hangs,
> > holds resources, and cannot be killed by -KILL(9)?
>
> Sure. Zombie processes. Haven't seen any lately, but I used to get 'em
> on Mandrake, way back in the olden (*cough*) days of the 2.4.x kernel.
> :-D  I've also had this problem at work, with AIX and a poorly written
> perl script that kept spawning and killing children, but not cleaning
> up the mess.

	Hi;

	Just a note, a zombie process isnt really a process, its
basicly just a stub with the process id and exit status
waiting around for a parent to reclaim. The process itself shouldnt
be taking up any resources at that point. At least thats how
its supposed to work under linux.
	Like you say, its the result of a negligent parent
process, who just doesnt care that its child is dead, but unless
they are filling up your listing, a zombie process shouldnt be
much cause for alarm. (I only mention this because some people
become quite disturbed by their undead stubornness;)
	[and for anyone curious, to get rid of a Zombie child,
you have to kill the parent]

Paul
set at pobox.com