[mdlug] [TECH] kill -KILL fails to kill /usr/bin/schilly/cdrecord

Paul set at pobox.com
Tue Aug 28 23:04:23 EDT 2007

Robert Meier <eaglecoach at wwnet.com>, on Tue Aug 28, 2007 [06:14:12 AM] said:

> "bash> sudo kill -9 <cdrecord process numbers>" has no effect.
>
> How can sudo kill -9 have no effect?
> AFAIK, this instructs the operating system to remove the named processes
> and return their resources without their contact or consent.

	Hi;

	Not quite; it sends a signal to the process, SIGKILL,
which 'cannot be caught, blocked, or ignored'. However if the
processes is blocking inside the kernel, that signal may never
get handled.
	You should be able to see this by looking at the ps
listing--- probably its in the 'D' or 'uninteruptable sleep'
state. Usually this occurs when a driver is talking to hardware
misbehaving or terminally confused, and may or may not time
out.

> How can I reacquire use of the cdrecorder?

	Other than possibly removing and reloading the
driver module (if you even have it as a module) Or possibly
using hdparm ... (perhaps the -U, -R or -L options....)
Any of the above might hang in the D state as well.
Otherwise, the burner may need a hard reset. (ie. power
down and up)