[mdlug] [TECH] kill -KILL fails to kill /usr/bin/schilly/cdrecord

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:57:59 EDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Robert Meier <eaglecoach at wwnet.com> wrote:

> Has anybody before seen a case where a process hangs,
> holds resources, and cannot be killed by -KILL(9)?

Sure. Zombie processes. Haven't seen any lately, but I used to get 'em
on Mandrake, way back in the olden (*cough*) days of the 2.4.x kernel.
:-D  I've also had this problem at work, with AIX and a poorly written
perl script that kept spawning and killing children, but not cleaning
up the mess.

> How can sudo kill -9 have no effect?

That's too technical of a question for me to answer.

> How can I reacquire use of the cdrecorder?

All I can say is, a reboot works just fine. I know... It's Windows-y...

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/